Complete the form below to get an estimate
Asphalt roof shingles, aka composite shingles, are one of the most popular materials used for roofing today! Not only are they incredibly long-lasting and designed to protect your home for decades, but they also require minimal maintenance, which is great news for a busy homeowner.
ABOUT ASPHALT SHINGLES
When installed by a professional, Asphalt roofing shingles are known to deliver several purposes and benefits for homeowners.
These are our top 8 advantages to incorporating asphalt roofing into your home, though there are still many more to be experienced!
- Versatility - Covering many different angles, shapes and forms which means that they work with almost any type of roof, no matter how large or complicated yours might be.
- Design Variety - Available in a range of rich architectural styles.
- Colour Options - If you need to preserve your home’s curb appeal or improve it before a sale, you’ll be able to pick the right colour/shade of roofing material to match the rest of your home.
- Cost Effective - The most cost-effective roofing materials upfront, yet they still provide the most value over the long term including more weather, fire, and wind resistance.
- Energy Efficiency - Available in light, medium and dark tones that reflect a higher amount of the sun’s rays, which, in turn, reduces the temperature of the roof surface. This allows you to use less energy to cool your home.
- Sound Protection - Not only do these have a great ability to insulate sound but can also be significantly quieter than metal roofs, resulting in less noise during large rain or and hail storms.
- Algae Resistance - Many roofs, especially those based in wood, allow algae, mold, and mildew growth, which looks like a black stain across your roof. These shingles inhibit blue-green algae growth, protecting both the colour and appearance of your roof.
- Fire Resistance - Superior (Class A) protection against penetration and spread of fire in the case of external fire hazards.
- Recyclable - Once you’re finished with your set of shingles, they can be repurposed into other products, including recycled asphalt used to make and repair roads.
- Integration for Other Roof Features - Installing a new chimney? Maybe a skylight? It’s easy to add new features to one part of a shingle roof without disturbing the rest. The same may not be said of other roof types.
THERE ARE THREE TYPES OF ASPHALT SHINGLES
Also known as 3-tab shingles (due to the cut of the shingle), strip shingles are the original and most basic asphalt shingles. They are made from a single layer of asphalt and have a very flat appearance. Thanks to these characteristics, they generally weigh and cost less than other asphalt shingles.
Strip shingles are most often used by home builders that manufacture inexpensive homes, or by homeowners who are replacing roofing shingles on residences that already have strip shingles on the roof.
These may also be referred to as architectural or laminate shingles and are the most popular asphalt shingles. Manufactured with two or more layers of asphalt that are fused together for a thicker and richer multi-dimensional appearance, these are also heavier than strip shingles, with improved quality and protection.
Considered the Cadillac of shingles materials, Luxury shingles are the highest-quality laminated shingles available, offering an evolved appearance and functionality that surpasses that of dimensional shingles. Apart from being the shingle ‘heavyweights’ that offer premium protection for weathering, luxury shingles are stunning to look at, presenting the highest quality, coloration, and dimensionality.
This option also offers the most realistic representation of the old-world wood shake and quarried slate roofing.
Del's Exteriors contractors are the most trusted and experienced roofing contractors in Winnipeg. Contact us today for your FREE, no-obligation detailed estimate.