Roofing Repair Winnipeg
How Do I Know When My Roof Needs to be Replaced
Keeping an eye on your roof should be one of your top housekeeping chores. While some roofing problems can be fixed by a professional roofing repair company, effectively extending your roof’s lifespan, other times, an inspection determines that it’s time for a roof replacement.
Early detection of roofing problems, including rot, mould, or full-on holes, can save you thousands of dollars on repairs (not to mention many headaches) or even the need for an entire roof replacement.
- As a general rule, the life expectancy of the average roof is about 20-25 years, under good conditions, but elements like moisture, pollution, weather, and overgrown trees all contribute to speeding up the aging and deterioration of your roof.
- If your roof is only 10-years-old and needs roofing repair, you probably only need roof restoration, not a replacement.
- If you’re getting up to 15-20+ years old, frequent repairs may be a waste of money if you’ll just need to replace the entire roof soon anyway.
- Replacing tiles or shingles that are damaged needs to be done immediately to protect you and your home. All it takes is one damaged, cracked, or missing shingle to leak water into your home, causing serious damage.
- If the damages are limited to a few asphalt shingles, replacing them is a good and inexpensive option.
- If you notice multiple shingles or tiles damaged, loose, buckled, or otherwise broken at random, this is a sign you may need a new roof.
- Keep an eye out for growth on your shingles as well as inside your home. If moss and algae are allowed to grow on your shingles and tiles, it could eventually force them apart and let water inside. Algae can also rot your shingles, causing them to break, loosen, or buckle.
- If you notice mould, algae, or mildew inside your home, contact a mould specialist to determine the source. Mould may indicate a problem with your roof, but it may just as well be a plumbing issue, which is an easy and inexpensive problem to fix.
- Mould, mildew, moss, and algae all love moisture and will thrive in damp & humid conditions. A leaky roof will trap moisture inside your home, which are the perfect conditions for these monsters to grow and wreak havoc.
- If you see this inside your home including in the form of dark trails or spots on your ceilings/walls, it often indicates that your roof is compromised, and replacement is recommended.
- Contact a roofing repair specialist immediately as moisture not only damages your ceiling and walls but if left for too long, can rot wood and damage the structure of your home.
- The ridgeline of your roof should be completely straight. If you notice your roof is visibly sunken or sagging, you should call a roofing repair specialist immediately to prevent your roof from potentially caving in.
- A sagging roof may be caused by a number of factors, including too much weight for snow and ice, improper installation, or the use of poor roofing materials.
- Your asphalt shingles are coated in a protective topcoat of sand-like granules. Old & deteriorating shingles start to shed these particles, removing the protective layer that keeps water and moisture from seeping in.
- Losing a few granules is okay, but if you start seeing increased amounts of particles washed into your gutters, this may indicate a more serious problem.
- A pretty obvious observation is that if light is getting through your roof, so is water. If you look up at your attic and see beams of light, this is a serious problem that requires immediate attention.
How to Prevent Extensive Roof Damage
- We recommend checking your roof at least twice a year, making note of any damages you noticed during your visual inspection. Having your roof professionally assessed/evaluated at least once every two years should also be considered.
- When your roof inspector arrives, inform them of any damage you noticed. It’s their job to check and validate any damage you report. They are trained & equipped to look for any damages you may have missed.
- The longer you wait to have your roof inspected after noticing damages, the more chances of serious (and more expensive) roofing repairs or replacements
You have a budget, we have a payment plan to match it.
Make a large purchase affordable, apply for a monthly or biweekly payment plan with Financeit. Get pre-approved in seconds!